Sunday, February 27, 2011

WIP: Gladiators

All the furor surrounding the latest season of Spartacus: Gods of the Arena has got me fired up to finally start my Gladiators from Black Tree Design which have been sitting around for about a year now. 


Barca shown waiting for the killing stroke decision.


If you haven't seen the series, I highly recommend it for it's plethora of graphic images purely for visual reference and artistic inspiration, of course. 


Now how cool is this gladiator?

OK, fine, what's not to like: violence enhanced with CGXF, blood, action, gratuitous Tee and Ay and more violence!! All set in the ancient Roman Republic. If you're video streaming like me, they do warn you of the upcoming content:


Any living, breathing guy couldn't possibly resist these 'WARNINGS'. 
This is, like, a really good check list for any of my movies. 
 I especially like the standard and obligatory disclaimer at the beginning of each episode 
to supposedly warn off parents but definitely ensure the curiosity factor.

But this post is not a review of Spartacus the series. It's more grist for my mill to motivate me into delving in, yet, another genre for gaming. I originally acquired these bad boys for use with THW: Red Sand Blue Sky. I really love the sculpts that come out of Black Tree Design.

Dry brushed and ready for some color. Part of me would like to leave them in this state b/c it really shows off the detail of these beautiful sculpts.

The variety of poses feature some of the typical standbys (left to right): Murmillo or Samnite or Hoplomachus, Dimachaerus (two swords), Hoplomachus with sword, Retiarius with rope, and Hoplomachus with spear and buckler.

John at Black Tree Design threw in a couple of samples of Goblin Gladiators: Retiarius and generic swordsman.

The other poses (left to right): Retiarius with net, heavy Hoplomachus with spear and buckler, Goblins and Thracian.
Coming soon the Gladiators of my Ludus from the House of Franciscus!

2 comments:

  1. Never thought of BTD but they're nice and Spartacus is very good, good to know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice models! I´ll check this project closely, probably I´ll get some ideas for my own gladiator project :-D

    Cheers
    Hetairoi
    http://hetairoiwargames.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...